Friday, March 2, 2012

Two different approaches to trout stocking

I fish Rhode Island and Massachusetts a lot for freshwater fish. I mostly fish Rhode Island when I fish in the surf.  I fish for trout equally in both states. I have four  trout ponds within 15 minutes of my home. Two are in North Attleboro. The other two in Lincoln and Cumberland. The two in MA are right up the street, however the one in Lincoln, RI is fly fishing only.  The point is I spend a lot of time fishing for trout in both states.

Rhode Island  has an opening day ( the second Saturday in April). From the last day in February until April 14, all ponds stocked with trout are closed. Even if you want to fish for sunfish in a trout pond you can not until opening day. The point of having an opening day is to generate interest and anticipation for the event. Some 20,000 anglers fish RI waters opening day. This gives a boost in revenue to bait and tackle shops that weekend.

Massachusetts, on the other hand, has no  closed season.  You can fish any lake or river all year long. Of course you still have to follow size and bag limits. Some streams are catch and release or fly fishing only. However, for the most part general rules apply and you can fish anywhere in March as you can in July.

Last year after a very cold and snowy winter the stocking trucks started rolling the week of March 21 in Massachusetts. That means I had a full three and a half weeks of fishing for trout in Mass before I could even look at one across the border. I didn't actually catch a trout until March 31, but the point is for anyone that wanted to get out of the house and break there spell of cabin fever could.

This year after the nicest winter that I can remember Mass Wildlife has announced it will be stocking next week. So by the weekend of March 10 I along with any one else with a license will be able to go fish for trout. I applaud the division for doing this. I can't wait to get out and try my luck. I love catching stripers, but there have been precious few ( read none) the last couple weeks.  The next week is going to be mostly in the fifties for a high temperature. I have this weekend off but next week I have Thurs and Friday off. If the weather is going to be warm those days, I might take the trip to Fearings Pond.

I wish Rhode Island would abandon the opening day idea. At the very least it would be nice if they moved opening day into March. Trout are colds water fish. Waiting until mid April wastes an entire month when trout would be active in comfortably cool/ cold water. During warm springs trout fishing is over by mid May. Rhode Island has very few places that are cool enough with enough dissolved oxygen to support trout over the summer. If they made opening day March 15, that would give trout  guys 2 months to fish for them before they get uncomfortable and start to die.

Unfortunately, Rhode Island will never abandon opening day and there is an even less chance of moving it back. Having opening day in mid April guarentees, a fairly warm weekend. Even a cold wet weekend will have temps in the high forties. A mid March opening day could be snowy and below freezing. Bait shops would fight against it. Most guys are not going to fish in thirty five degree temps.
So the trout stay at the hatchery or in ponds not allowed to be fished.

This trout was caught last year in Massachusetts ten days
before the season even opens in Rhode Island
In the meantime, I have fresh fish coming to Massachusetts ponds this week. So it begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment