Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Get ready for spring- now

The first week of March is over. There is almost no snow anywhere south of the Mass Pike. Temps are rising. Daylight savings time is upon us. What I'm saying is spring is here, or right around the corner. It is time to get ready if you haven't already.

I have recently realized that my love of fishing isn't just a hobby. It is an obsession. Fishing is all I think about. While I'm washing windows at work, I'm usually planning my evening. I try to figure out if I'll have enough time to trout fish or carp fish. If stripers might be in. It goes further than that, when I know I'm not fishing, I usually plan on doing some fly tying or tackle maintenance. Something to keep me busy. I recognize not everyone is this nuts, but there are thousands of people that really enjoy fishing as a hobby and consider it a love. This post is a reminder to them that its not to early to get ready for spring.

Last spring I wrote a long post as a reminder for spring. You might want to click on it for some more ideas. http://www.southernnewenglandoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/03/spring-is-here.html

I'll go over some of that stuff, but not all of it. I don't type that fast. I've got some other stuff to add also.
You want new line on your reel when a trout this
size comes your way

The most important two things you can do as a fisherperson before you actually fish are get your license and change the line on your reels.  Many states are going to electronic license buying. This is awesome because now I don't have to go to Apple Valley to buy my RI license. It saves time. So far I've bought my MA freshwater, Saltwater permit, and RI freshwater licenses. I will need a NH license and if we go to Acadia National Park this summer I will need a Maine week long license.

As for changing my line, I don't particularly enjoy doing it. So I do it all at once. I have 10 reels that I use most often  ( 2 small carp, 2 carp reels for big fish in rivers, 2 trout reels,3 schoolie reels and a surf reel). I also have about six that get occasional use ( mostly bass reels, my spare surf reel, and 2 trout reels I only use for backpacking because the rods are 2 piece). I do the first ten all at once just to get it over with. Whether you have 20 reels or two reels, you don't want a big fish to break you off because you have on old line. It is worth the investment. Do it!

You also might want to go through your box, reorganize it and figure out what you need to buy for the upcoming season. I wrote about the big Bass Pro Sale that's still going on. Although I spent way to much money, there are some great deals.

 You may make your own flies or leaders. This is a reminder that if you haven't time is running short. Some things that I did over the winter to keep myself busy are

1. Made plenty of deceivers for striper fishing.
2. Made shrimp fly teasers. Also for striper fishing when they are grubbing on the bottom.
3. Made some bucktail jigs. 1 ounce and 1 1/2 ounce.
4. Made plenty of carp leaders with the knotless knot.
5. Made florocarbon leaders for powerbait (24 inches)and casting bubble/ fly ( six feet)
6.Organized all my boxes, wrote a list of what I needed to buy.
7. Painted some egg sinkers brown to make them look natural carp fishing
8. Changed line on 10 reels I use the most ( still have to do the rest)
9. Scouted some access points in Warwick, RI
10. Online research for fishing spots
11. Made striper leaders with the teasers I made ( shrimp fly and daytime ( white/ olive)
 and night time deceivers ( black)
12. Ordered new gear.
13. Put VMC hooks on all my striper plugs.

I'd rather be ready to fish on a nice early spring day than
be doing the stuff I could have done during the winter.
Obviously, not all fishermen would do so much prepping for the new season. No one would need to do the exact things. There are a  lot of trout guys that make there own flies.  Guys with boats need to get them ready. That's a lot more time consuming then making ten shrimp flies.

Today was gorgeous out. Tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer. Since I was all prepared with new line on my pole and my fishing license already bought, I got to go carp fishing after work today.  My friend Dave P. and I landed a total of 10 carp. Sure beats sitting at home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment