Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ecosystem is Screwed Up

Okay its obviously been extremely warm. I'm not going to lie,  I have been enjoying it.  There have been strange things that I have never seen before. In terms of nature these are crazy things. Here are some examples.

Adult menhaden stayed in the Providence River all winter. They survived the extremely mild winter.

Young menhaden ( peanut bunker) were snagged by Dave and Jeff a couple weeks ago. We never see them until at earliest mid August

I actually wet waded while trout fishing the last two days. I was up to my knees. The water was warmer than when I fished in New Hampshire on Memorial Day last year.  Dave checked the temperature in the shallows    64 degrees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got bit by a mosquito last night.

My forsythia bush is blooming

My mid spring daffodils are going to be blooming by tomorrow

I saw a bat on Tuesday night  ( March 19)

I saw a dandelion  on March 10

Insect are hatching every where. Ponds are covered with hatches

Dave had a bee flying around his head almost two weeks ago

I'm not sure what all this means. I do think if we get a real cold snap it could spell disaster for a lot of species that think its late spring. Lets hope mosquitos are on that list!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment