Thursday, March 22, 2012

Not as good as it Sounds


Cold, hard, facts from today fishing down the Cape for trout

I caught 8 trout today
Two of them were brookies
I caught one trout over 16 inches
I caught trout from 4 different ponds, three of them I had never caught a trout before

The Reality...

I picked Jeff up at 5:30 this morning to go trout fishing. Our plan was to hit a bunch of Upper Cape lake. I wanted to go to Nickerson, but my car is being fixed Friday so I couldn't stay over night.  We were at out first pond, Grews Pond in Falmouth, before 7 am. It was cold and damp. I caught two trout there, but only after putting in the kayak. We couldn't get any from shore.

We then went to Mares Pond also in Falmouth. We were disappointed by the public access so we skipped this one.

Next we went to Hoxie Pond in Sandwich. This pond was loaded with trout. We saw 50-60 swim by us, sometimes at out feet. They were picky. I caught 2, including the big one. Jeff caught two bass. I also caught a bass and 2 sunfish on the fly rod. We threw everything we had at the trout, they were just not in the mood to hit. Every other fishermen has having the same problem.

After out frustration at Hoxie, we went to a sub shop for lunch. After lunch we went  to Little. There was so many people we left. We drove the three miles to Lout. There I caught three trout including my first brookie. This is the best spot I found during the day. One guy had a decent rainbow and a brown on a stringer. I saw 2 other guys catch four 'bows on shiners.  We fished here a little while until moving on to Fearings.

We fished  Fearings hard for 2 1/2 hours. The only fish to show for it was one lone brookie. Of all the places I fish, I can usually count on Fearings to come through, today it did not.

We left Fearings and quickly went to Mary's Pond in Rochester. We fished about 20 minutes and headed home. I dropped Jeff off at his house then fished Falls Pond for 30 minutes. I caught one small bass. I finally pulled into my yard about 6:45.

So if you look at the stats, I had a good day. Jeff had a tough day. However if you add that I was gone 13 hours and fished maybe 9, it wasn't that good today. Thats why they call it fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment