Sunday, March 18, 2012

"I don't know how the bass fishing is, but the pickerel are biting!!!"


After carp fishing and lunch yesterday, I wanted to go to Fearings in Myles Standish State Park. It was nice out and I didn't want to waste my afternoon doing nothing. I also did not want to waste the gas. I would not have gotten there until about 4:15. That would have only given me about 2 1/2 hours until sunset. I couldn't justify 2 hours of driving for two and a half hours fishing. 

I got in the car actually planning to go. As I was driving towards the highway I decided it wasn't a good idea. Then I thought " what the hell, I may as well try bass fishing" I came back home and packed some tackle in a stowaway box and left. The kayak was already on the roof of the car. I went to Turnpike Lake. Turnpike is right up Route 1 about 10 minutes from my house. It is to weedy fo fish or boat by early May so any fishing ther has to be done early in the year. It is also a great pond for small pickerel and some bass. Pickerel are definately the dominant gamefish though.

One of the pickerel I caught.  It was a nice way to spend the afternoon
I went armed with only a few lures. I ended up using only one. I used an unweighted plastic worm rigged texas style. I fished it like a minnow. I twitched the rod tip to make it dart. I would let it fall. I got a whole bunch of hits. I ended up catching 10 pickerel. No bass at all. The biggest pickerel was about 15-16 inches. The most amazing thing of all was I did not get caught off once. AND never had to change my worm. I caught all 10 plus five other hits on the same worm!

No comments:

Post a Comment