Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Little Ol' White Perch






Went fishing in the rain last night for an hour before the Celtics game. I went to Falls Pond in search of a possible trout. I used powerbait on one rod and casting bubble/wooly bugger on the other. I managed a trout on the powerbait. It was about a 13 inch rainbow.On the wooly bugger I caught a yellow perch and a white perch. It goes to show how effective dragging a fly behind a casting bubble can be. I've caught trout, both types of perch, largemouth bass, crappie, and sunfish with this method. It was my first white perch of the year.



Of course catching a 7 inch white perch is nothing to write home about ( or really to write in a blog) but they have a special meaning for me. When I was a kid my family and I went up to Maine every year for two weeks. We rented a cottage on a nine mile long lake. The lake was loaded with white perch. I spent almost every waking hour of those two weeks chasing them. Toddy Pond in Ellsworth, ME was the first place I ever saw/ caught a white perch. Even now when I catch one, it takes me back to that time, even just for a second.

1 comment:

  1. Nice White Perch, intersting thing about these perch is they are not perch, they are temperate bass, closest cousin to the striped bass, these are naturally sea run (anadromous) and have been landlocked by people. We love these fish and look forward to catching our own! Nice Job... What's a casting bubble? Can you do a post and show what the rig looks like?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete