Monday, April 4, 2011

Changing tactics leads to a good day Fishing





A quote from an old St Croix catalog "There is nothing more annoying than good weather"




Although I have been complaining about the north wind for a couple weeks, you will never here me complain about rainy days. Rainy days mean my favorite spots will be quite lonesome ( in a good way) places to fish. Today in little old North Attleboro, MA it was a rainy day. Although the temperature barely hit 49 degrees, dressed properly, it wasn't to bad. Trout fishing was slow today. The fish were around but they were not particularly aggressive.




I started with the brown Roostertail from a couple days ago on one pole and powerbait nuggets on the other. I didn't have any luck on the Roostertail, so I switched it up with a casting bubble and and a fly ( wooly bugger). Within minutes I caught a 14 inch rainbow. I also managed to catch a 7 inch yellow perch. Both fish were caught within 10 minutes. An important note to the story, the wooly bugger that I caught the trout on was a fly that made myself. This is the first fish I've ever caught on a fly that I made not bought. After that I couldn't buy a bite with the set up. The wind picked up and the water got a little rough. I guessed that with the rough water the trout could not find the fly. So, I switched back to the spinner and picked up another 14 incher.




So you ask, what about the rod with powerbait. well I'm glad you asked. I got 5 hits on that rod. Unfortunately, the trout did not hold on long enough for me to catch them. Twice I was next to the rod when I got a hit. Both times the fish just hit the nugget and bolted without taking it. I have a suprise for the trout next time they do this. I bought some mealworms at the pet store tonight. I am going to tip the hook with them. I doubt any trout will be able to resist a struggling mealworm and nugget. I hope my theory is correct. Only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. Nice fish!
    We've been trying for some early fish and have had no luck yet, maybe we should try some powerbait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys, thanks for checking out my site. I enjoy reading yours. Sorry to read you had a tough time on opening day. I was rooting for you to get a shiner!!!

    ReplyDelete