Friday, April 15, 2011

CARP-al Turkey



Last night my friend Amber and I went to one of my favorite out of the way fishing spots. We did not go there to go fishing. The woods surrounding the fishing area is home to a few wild turkeys. Every night around sunset the turkeys fly into the trees to roost for the night. Yes wild turkeys can fly, and yes they do sleep very high up in trees. While we were waiting ( four straight words starting with "w") I threw in some corn, in case I wanted to fish there today.




A few minutes after sunset the turkeys did come in. Three of them roosted very high in the trees. They did not find their perfect spot right away. All three moved into at least two other trees than their original they landed on. Its fun to watch such a big bird flying through tree limbs. Amber got to see her first wild turkeys. She was very excited.




Today, I decided to give the spot a try for carp. I was not disappointed. I landed my biggest carp of the year so far. It was a little over 17 pounds. It was short and fat. Definitely a pregnant female. It took almost ten minutes to get her in. During the mid-fight, there was a period where she would not budge. I was afraid the hook would pop loose and I'd loose it. Luckily, the hook stayed in ,barely, and I landed it. Upon review after pulling the hook out it bent quite a bit. The hook most likely bent because of my pliers, but it does show how much the hook was weakened by such a strong fish.




Picture of seventeen pound carp and hook

No comments:

Post a Comment