Sunday, April 10, 2011

Humble Pie

I've had days where I was catching like yesterday, I've had days where I've been the one watching others catch fish while I sat there frustrated. I don't really get cocky and think I'm the greatest fisherman in the world. We all have good days and bad. That said, I had a little fun with yesterdays blog post ( and title). Catching all those fish while everyone watched helplessly, gave me a little pride. I had fun with that in yesterdays post. I freely admit, and knew even while I was writing, I wrote with a little " swagger or cockyness". I knew that the tables could turn very quickly, but I figured I'd enjoy my success yesterday.


Well... things changed today, I got my but out of bed at 5:45 and was fishing by 6:15. I told DJ I could limit out in 1/2 an hour. You can guess that the gods heard that and let me know I was not one of them. After three hours fishing, I had 3 hits and nothing to show for it. Not only did I have a fishless morning, but with cold hands I managed to loose two flies into the trees. I tried all my flies with a casting bubble and most of my lures, powerbait and meal worms.Nothing!! I can say the other suckers that got out of bed as early as me did almost as bad. I only saw 3 trout caught, by about 7 other anglers. The fish were splashing and seemed to be aggressive, yet they were educated very quickly from yesterdays heavy fishing pressure.


Other than being tired, I still enjoyed my morning. I didn't catch any fish, but they were there. Its why we call it fishing and not catching. It was a pretty morning on a pretty pond. I wish I caught fish, but I don't worry about getting skunked once in a while. I knew I was eating fish tacos for lunch, fish or no fish.

Did I learn my lesson... not really, you need confidence to catch fish. If you don't have confidence in your fishing, whether lure choice, location, or in your abilities, your not going to do as well. However, I did not need to eat breakfast when I got home, I was spoonfed humble pie for three hours!!!


See any fish in this picture? Kind of like my morning

1 comment:

  1. Wasn`t there another part of the recipe, seems some how incomplete.
    Didn`t you want to mix all the ingredients in a plastic bag.
    Just saying....

    ReplyDelete