Monday, April 18, 2011

Beach Pond Disappointment





I actually wrote this Sunday night after a disappointing day on the water. Due to the format on blogger, it is easier to use paragraphs when you add a picture. Therefore I added this one to show you my canoe bottom.


I can deal with days when I don't catch any fish. You can't actually " love "fishing if your not capable of dealing with the occasional goose egg. What is MUCH WORSE is driving an hour in each direction. Finding out the lake is windswept, spending twenty dollars in gas, dragging your son along, And this is the best part, getting a leak in your canoe!! That was how my day went today.


I have wanted to fish Beach Pond on the Rhode Island/ Connecticut line since I found out thast Connecticut stocks walleyes there. This was opening day weekend, but the weather the last couple of days has been quite breezy. Also DJ had plans until about 3 pm yesterday afternoon. He decided to give Beach Pond a chance today. We left the house about noon. On our way down we bought some shiners at Quaker Lane.


After a couple other detours we finally reached the pond and shoved off in the canoe about 2 pm. This would have been fine, we had plenty of time to fish before dark. He headed to the far side of the lake because the wind was in our face at the beach. As we were going across the lake we noticed the canoe was taking in water. Its not like we were going to sink and our lives were not in any danger. Still after about 20 minutes we gad enough water in the canoe to make you realize feet would be wet very shortly. So we headed back to the beach and put the canoe back on the car. We fished the Beach area for 1/2 anhour with the wind in our face. We were pretty disapointed and our hearts were not into it.



We then drove down to Carolina Trout Pond in Richmond and gave that a fair shot. The pond is beautiful and on state land. Its enclosed in forest, so it was pretty calm. Unfortunately the fish did not cooperate. We left about 5:15 and had a 50 minute ride back home.


So to wrap up, 20 dollars gas, 9 dollars in shiners, 7 dollars at Wendys ( easily the highlight of the day), very windy lake and to top it off my canoe leaks. I tell all of you this story, not so I can gain your pity. Some days are better than others. Today just fell under the catagory of " others" Hopefully next fishing trip will go a lot better.


I do have to point out this is my old canoe. It had a leak before. I had it patched with tar and material from an old set of waders. I do have another canoe that I got for a great deal a couple years ago. So if you read a blog post in two days about fishing from the canoe, you will know that I'm in the newer one. We like the leaky canoe more because we both feel it is slightly more stable and a little lighter. They are both Colman plastic canoes, but the old one is better. Alas, I think it has seen its last day on the water. It seems conter productive to attemt to patch the canoe while I have a perfectly good one sitting in the backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment