Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Congradulations DJ!!!



On Monday night DJ and I went striper fishing in Providence. We tried a place I had never fished before based on a tip from my friend Dave. On Sunday night I went fishing at one spot while Dave fished another. I ended up with two big schoolies while Dave caught 12 schoolies with much less effort. Since DJ isn't in love with fishing like I am, I took him to the place that had the best chance to catch some fish.

It was a short walk from the parking lot to the water. After we put on our waders we walked down. DJ tok both a spinning rod and his new saltwater fly rod from Christmas. The plan was to practice with the fly rod until he got bored or tired. If the fish were to far out or not hitting the fly, he could switch over to the spinning rod and catch fish.

By the time we got into the water, Dave had already caught a couple small ones and had a couple more hits. I started casting and within a minute or two landed my first schoolie of the night. The problem was all Dave's fish and mine were being hooked way out at the end of the cast way past fly rod range. Luckily about 10 minutes into fishing I hooked a fish in close to shore. As I was reeling it in DJ got a strike too. He set the hook and the battle began. As both Dave and myself were a little in disbelief that DJ hooked a fish so close to shore we both stopped fishing to watch. Never catching a saltwater fish before on a fly rod, DJ didn't know how to play it and actually asked out loud " What do I do?". We told him to play the fish until it tired some. It wasn't a giant so he got it in pretty quick. It ended up being about 20 inches long ( just a guess). Luckily, luckily, luckily Dave had a camera on him and took a picture of DJ fighting the fish and one holding it. Then DJ let it go

Two other guys showed up so there was 5 of us in a very small area fishing The fish continued to hit for about the next 45 minutes. Dave caught about 5 . I caught 3 and had five other hits I couldn't hook. Of the two new guys, one caught a keeper and as far as I know the other guy just had bad luck and just got one. As for DJ he caught one more small schoolie and had three other hits. Considering he was the only one of the five of us using a fly rod and we could out cast him by three hundred percent, he more than held his own with four VERY EXPERIENCED striper fishermen.

So I am sure I will be reminded often that he caught a striper on a fly rod before I did. He only beat me by 21 years. Also many thanks to Dave for having the camera on him.

Good job DJ !!

No comments:

Post a Comment