Sunday, May 15, 2011

Castle Island


Today my good buddy Laurie and I went to South Boston to visit Castle Island. Castle Island is a park that juts out into Boston Harbor. There are views in all directions. I had never been there before. We knew it was going to rain, but we took the chance we would leave before it started.



We arrived around noon. After we parked we walked along the paths. This is not hiking. Just a nice place to take a walk. There is a well protected beach. I am sure the beach is very crowded on nicer weather days than today. You can watch the planes coming in landing at Logan Airport. To the west is Boston's skyline. To the east, the islands in Boston Harbor. To the north, Logan and to the south, the JFK Library. Also some large yachts and dinner cruise ships come in and out of the harbor. There is plenty to see



The whole area looks find of fishy to me. I would like to try my luck. There are two outlets of a huge salt pond going into the ocean. The water was cranking there today as the tide was dropping. There is also a fish pier. A couple guys were fishing bottom.




In the center of the park is Fort Independence. There have been forts at Castle Island since 1634. The one at the island now resembles Fort Adams in Newport a little to me. Starting Memorial day, you can take tours of the fort.



There are picnic areas as well as a pretty cheap fast food shop. The place had burgers, hot dogs, lobster bisque, fries and a large assortment of quick food. The prices were pretty good.



Laurie and I definitely plan on going back during nicer weather. We already have out picnic planned out. Chicken Salad, chips and root beer under a tree is our plan. I am sure Castle Island is mobbed with people during busy summer weekends. I'm not a huge fan of crowds, but I can definitely understand why people go there. Its a really nice place to spend an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment