Thursday, November 10, 2011

Homemade deceivers



My buddies up in New Hampshire asked me to show them some pictures of deceivers. A deceiver is a fly that is shaped like a small baitfish. For saltwater they are usually made on a size 2/0 or 3/0 hook. They are fairly simple to make. All you need is some bucktail, the hook and some hackle feathers, thread and of course a way to work on the hook like a fly tying vise.

A deceiver can be used as a fly on a fly rod. It can also be effectively used as a teaser on a leader. They are usually fished a 18 inches or so ahead of a heavier lure for casting like a bomber plug or bucktail jig.

They can be made in any color combination. To make them at home, I only make three colors. I make a white one, a black one and an olive one with a white belly. I feel the olive is much more realistic than all white for daytime use. I use the black one at night. Truthfully, most of the summer my leader were without teasers. I'm regretting that now. Having a teaser ahead of your main lure doubles your chances.

Although, I caught a my first fish the other night on one of my homemade teasers, DJ already had. He caught a few fish with them on his fly rod this spring and summer. He caught fish in the evening on the olive one and I caught mine the other night on black. At the risk of making my blog an ode to my friend Dave's blog, if you want to learn how to make them you can check out his video. They are simple to make and very effective

http://ristripedbass.blogspot.com/2009/07/tying-black-deceiver-flyteaser.html

No comments:

Post a Comment