Thursday, November 10, 2011

A day late, but not quite a dollar short


Sunday through Tuesday the ocean in southern Rhode Island has been lit up with schoolie bass all over the place. The weather has been really warm and there has been almost no wind. Of course I had to work. So I was missing out on days where guys were catching 20- 50 fish a day. I couldn't take it any more so I asked my boss if I could go in early on Wednesday and get out about noon. He said I could.

When I got up Wed morning  the weather forecast for the day predicted 5-10 mph winds out  of the southeast. I knew the water wouldn't be glass calm like it had been. I just hoped the fish were still around. I picked Jeff up at 12:30 and headed down.

We fished three different spots and found fish in all three. It was not like it had been. I caught a schoolie at Gallilee Channel. We found more fishermen than fish at a beach in South County. Still I was probably 20 fish caught, and Jeff and I got a couple in the mix. Finally, he stopped at a very easy to fish rocky area in Narragansett on the way home. We picked up a couple more there. All the fish caught by us and everyone else were schoolies. I didn't see any keeper bass. I did see two blues and I suspect a few more were caught.

My highlight for the day was a fish I caught after dark. It hit one of my homemade deceivers that I made last winter. Its always cool when you catch a fish on something you made.

So even though the story of my year has been " you should have been here yesterday" we caught a few fish today. The weather was nice and I only had to work until noon. It could have been better, but all in all a good day. Like I said Friday any fish in November is a good fish.

I will post pictures after work today.

1 comment: