Friday, November 4, 2011

Any fish in November is a good fish!!!

I found out that the ocean was  not fishable today. The waves were big and the water was dirty. Unfortunately I had plans with Jeff to fish the Rhode Island south shore. This caused a dilemma for me. I knew Jeff was really looking forward to fishing today, but I was unwilling to waste all that gas money and time. Some how I had to break the news to my buddy. I couldn't get in touch with him by phone so I had to go to his house. When I pulled up, he came out of his house with his warm clothes in hand oblivious to the fact, I was about to let him down. When he opened the back door of my truck, he saw I didn't have any fishing gear in the back. I quickly told him that the ocean was unfishable. He thought I was pulling his leg at first. After a few seconds, he realized I was serious and wasn't driving down. The look on his face was about the same as realizing you have a winning lottery ticket, but for the wrong lottery.

We sat around for a little while and tried to figure out other fishing spots. Jeff kept suggesting places in the ocean that might be clean because they were out of the wind. I, however, had to play the role of Debbie Downer and tell him it just wasn't worth our gas. Each time I did, it was the loosing lottery ticket face. I don't blame Jeff for wanting to go despite the weather report. I have many times hoped that " it probably isn't that bad" At this time of year, if the ocean is dirty there just aren't as many options. The bay is pretty much vacant of fish, and the breachways are much better after dark. Also the tide at the breachways was wrong for trying them.

So after some grieving by both of us... we moved on with our lives. We decided to go trout fishing at my favorite pond. We went to Fearings in Myles Standish State Park. We got there about 2 and fished till 5:15. Fishing wasn't great, but it was fairly warm ( as opposed to the ocean breeze of 35 mph.) Between us we landed five trout. Jeff caught 4 and I caught only one. Jeff's four were the first ones for the year. So I'm calling it beginners luck dam it! So even though I only caught one trout, time went by quickly. I had fun, the pond is in a pretty setting and at least I knew there were fish in the lake. At the ocean, there may have not been any fish for miles. I think we made the right decision!

No pictures I left the camera in the car. Most fish were about ten inches, one was 14.

P.S. Feline AIDS is the number one killer of domestic cats ( if you get that reference you rock!!!)

1 comment:

  1. No more sad faces from me, you were rite i'm glad we went for trout, and its not beginners luck its skill.

    ReplyDelete