Friday, May 31, 2019

Worm Eating Warbler

I spent this evening fishing in Ninigret Pond for stripers. I fished in the evening hoping to fish a worm spawn. However, since there weren't any worms and there weren't any stripers, here is a picture of a Worm-Eating from today.

I birded hard today from 6:30 am until I started fishing at 7:30 pm. I had a great day getting eight new birds. My morning started at The Cumberland Monastery where I lucked into the Olive Sided Flycatcher reported yesterday. Then I went on the Ocean State Bird Club walk in Glocester. Again, I lucked into a bird. We saw a Yellow Billed Cuckoo.

After the walk I had a 75 minute drive to Napatree and a 25 minute walk out to the lagoon. I saw four birds there new for the year (Red Knots, Common Tern, Roseate Tern, and Laughing Gull. Then I drove back to Charlestown Breachway and put my kayak in. I paddled to the mudflat. I dipped on White Rumped Sandpiper. It was the only target bird I missed all day. But I did find another target there, Seaside Sparrow.

After I paddled back to the car, I went to the Grill's Preserve in Westerly. There I saw the Worm-Eating Warbler. I ended up with three lifers today (Worm-Eating Warbler, Olive Sided Flycatcher, Yellow Billed Cuckoo). Lifers are going to be few and far between after this year. I ended the day at 249 species for the year. I thought I was at 250, but I miscounted. As great as today was, not seeing a White Rumped Sandpiper bothered me.

No comments:

Post a Comment