Thursday, May 9, 2019

Just some pictures from today

   As you would expect, I spent my dayoff birding from dawn until well after dark pulling into my driveway. Today was very productive. I got ten new birds for the year. I also got two lifebirds. The first lifer was at Miantinomi in Newport. As I was walking in, a bunch of my friends were looking at the super rare (around here) Golden Winged Warbler. This is a once every five years type of bird.

   The second lifer was a Hooded Warbler at Great Swamp. Besides the two lifebirds, the other first of the year birds were Eastern Kingbird, Rose Breasted Grosbeak, American Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, Broadwing Hawk, Blue Winged Warbler, and Least Tern, Spotted Sandpiper.

   Most of these are common birds. However, with rain almost every day I was starting to worry I wouldn't end up seeing them. Of these non-lifebirds the one I was most happy to see was the Broadwing. It is a species I see by the hundreds in the fall at Mt Wachusett. But in the spring they migrate by themselves. They are fairly common, but you can't look for them. They can be in any random woods but there aren't any "hotspots". It was pure relief seeing this one in the woods, that is why I added the crappy picture. 

Some of the birds I saw today are below 

Broadwing Hawk

Cedar Waxwing

Yellow Warbler

Veery

Black and White Warbler

Scarlet Tanager

Beaver

I saw a Scarlet Tanager two days in a row,
this is the one from yesterday

I saw an Orchard Oriole yesterday also

No comments:

Post a Comment