Monday, May 6, 2019

Photographing birds that have eluded me

Over the past twenty five years, when my radio is on I listen to Classic Rock and Country Music about equally. When I think about how much I drive, that means I have listened to classic rock thousands upon hours. However, it wasn't until three or four years ago that I first heard Juke Box Hero by Foreigner. Can you imagine how many times that song must have been on before or after I changed the channel, yet I had never heard it.
On the same token, I have missed out of photographing a couple species that I really wanted. Both Black Crowned Night Heron and Wood Thrush are fairly common yet I never got a good photo of each.

I've seen plenty of Black Crowned Night Hero (BCNH for now on). Unfortunately, most of the ones I've seen were at Potter's Cove in Jamestown after dark. Both myself and the BCNH were there fishing. I was after stripers and the heron were after silversides. Needless to say get a photo wasn't a possibility. I've seen others, but usually I accidentally flush them as I'm walking and they see me before I see them.

Wood Thrush are another common species. Yet in all of my birding I had seen exactly one. It was at Oxbow NWR three years ago. They are a stately bird and I not only wanted to see one but get some good photos. 

Today I got both. I went birding before work this morning. There was a BCNH at Hunt's Mill in East Providence. It was still drizzling so I didn't have great light. So, my pictures could have been awesome, but for now I'll settle for decent.

After work I went to Swan Point. It was pretty quiet. However as I was driving to leave I could hear wood thrush. There was one singing in the trees. I couldn't find it, but a chorus of at least three others joined in. I found one singing about ten feet up. The sun was out and I had great light on it. For ten minutes I took pictures while it sang its little heart out. It was cool.






No comments:

Post a Comment