Friday, May 3, 2019

Lifebird #8 for the year; Yellow Crowned Night Heron

Today, I saw my first ever Yellow Crowned Night Heron. It was at Allen's Cove Marina in North Kingston, RI. I got a text from my friend Jan that one was spotted and I was only twenty minutes away. I have missed the couple that I have looked for previously on Plum Island. YCNH is a pretty rare bird for these parts. It was feeding out in the open on the shore when I saw it. I really wanted to watch it and study it but I knew the longer I stayed the more likely it would spook. I didn't want to scare it for other birders so I only watched it for about two minutes.

Year stats update- 190 species in Rhode Island
                              Dropped down to 4th place
                               Number of species seen 237
                               Leader 211

No comments:

Post a Comment