Saturday, May 18, 2019

Getting High (Numbers) With a Little Help from my Friends



This is a Savannah Sparrow. The aren't rare but they
normally live in large fields. I saw this one at
Swan Point Cemetery 
Today I went on a bird walk at Miantonomi Park in Middletown. The walk was an Ocean State Bird Club walk. I was at Mia yesterday and picked up Bay Breasted Warbler. Many other warblers were there that I had seen but still enjoyed. During this morning's walk, I didn't get any new birds for the year. Two were seen after the group split up but the birds sis not want to cooperate with me.

After the walk a bunch of us went to Simmons Pond in Little Compton to look for Kentucky Warblers which breed there. There were way too many dogs and people and the Kentucky's stayed quiet, but on the way out we heard Easter Wood Pewee a new bird for me.

From there we went to  Dundry Brook also in Little Compton to find Willow and Alder Flycatcher. We heard and saw the Willow but there wasn't an Alder.

Next we went to Weetamoo Woods in Tiverton where we found an Acadian Flycatcher.

So I got three new birds today. All of them were because the experienced birders I hang around with knew right where to go. I had never been to Dundry Brook, been on the trail at Weetamoo Woods, or known where to look for the Kentucky Warbler.  I owe those birds to Jan, Carlos, Linda, and Wayne.

Believe me, I value their experience and kindness
I forgot my camera today, so here is a pic of my
favorite warbler Black Throated Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment