Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Goals for 2018

Usually in early January I write down my list of goals for the upcoming year. This past January all I could come up with were things to do. Going places isn't really a goal, at least not a hard one to achieve. I mean, if I want to go to Charlestown Breachway in August to look at shorebirds or albie fishing in September, all I have to do is go. Nothing is holding me back if I want to go. Therefore, I don't consider them goals. However, trips that require long drives or planning obviously are.

Before it got nice out in April, I sat down and really thought about what my goals were.  I didn't publish them because it seemed a little pretentious. However, looking back, I pretty much accomplished what I set out to do. There is no question that the top two things on the list were by far the most important and would have been happy finishing the mountains and taking a few nice pics. Notice, on this list, there is no mention of breaking any of my personal best birding records. It was never a priority.



1. Finish the New Hampshire 4000 footers. I have two hikes left. Mt Cabot which I'm going to do as a backpack trip. The other is Mt Adams and Madison. That will be a hard one.

I obviously finished the 4000 footers. It is one of the things I am most proud of I have done. I did Adams and Madison as a day hike.
   
2. Take more good photos than I did in 2017 

    This became an easy task once I bought my 500 mm lens. I also was more aware of light, the horizon, and the subject even before I bought my lens. In 2017, I really felt my photos were lacking and wanted to work on that in 2018

3.  Spend two weekends at Plum Island birding.

Mission accomplished. I took off two Wednesdays in May to give me two 3 day weekends. One of my trips I saw 72 species on Plum Island. The other trip I didn't count them I just concentrated on photos

4.  Go to Maine to go on a Puffin Cruise and visit Scarborough Marsh.

I took a third 3 day weekend in June. I went on the Puffin Cruise. I not only saw Puffins, but also Black Guillemont, Harbor Porpoises, two whales, and Seals. It was as fun a three hours as I had all year. At Scarborough Marsh I had two lifers, Tricolored Heron and Nelson's Sparrow

5.  Spend more time trying to catch keeper stripers in Rhode Island.

I didn't necessarily try to catch more stripers (night fishing) but I did end up catching more keepers than 2017. I let them all go.

6. When we go to Acadia in September, hike the Precipice Trail and/or the Beehive.

I only had time to hike The Beehive. That was scary enough. The Precipice is twice the height. I'm glad I did the Beehive. I was scared hiking it, but once I was on top I was sad it was over

7. Get good photos of Warblers and Orioles.

I got pictures of warblers that I have not only never photographed, but had never seen. 

8. See and photograph a spring Red Knot. This is actually on my overall Bucket List along with #1

May 30th I had a flock of Red Knots in front of me and the sun at my back. I photographed them for over an hour

9. Catch a legal sized tautog

Finally! I caught four of these elusive bottom feeders this year. Two of them were of legal size and absolutely delicious!

It is pretty rare that I accomplish all of my goals. Rarely do I get much over half. What I thought was important in January, may not be nearly as important once nice weather comes in April.
Red Knot

No comments:

Post a Comment