Saturday, January 26, 2019

102

 
Species number one hundred for 2019
Juvenile White Crowned Sparrow
One of my goals this winter was to see if I could see 100 species of birds in January. This was going to become more difficult when I found out I was going to work two weeks straight without a day off from January 13-25. During those days I worked I tried to take a walk after work to see if I could pick up a few birds.

I started my day off on Friday with 97 birds.  I had earlier in the week contacted the manager of Fisherville Audubon Sanctuary. Everyday, Evening Grosbeaks stop the feeders. I secured permission to stand by the manager's residence and wait. I had never seen an Evening Grosbeak. I tried for them two weeks ago when I spent almost five hours waiting for them without any luck. The grosbeaks are a northern species and they have rarely came south the last few years.

The manager told me the best time to see them was at 9ish. I got there at 8:30 am. I didn't want to miss them. Luckily, the Evening Grosbeaks did show up. They were a beautiful bird, especially the male. (species 98).

Later in the day, I saw a  Greater Yellowlegs (species 99). Quite honestly, besides seeing the Evening Grosbeaks birding sucked. I was pretty disappointed I didn't reach species one hundred. I left my house before dawn and left the birds at dark, so only seeing two new species was tough to handle

Saturday morning I got up early and went to Sachuest to hopefully find Purple Sandpipers and/or Red Necked Grebes. No luck. Then I went to St. Mary's Pond to see if I could find Northern Shovelers and Green Wing Teal. Again, a miserable fail. I did see a Bald Eagle which was cool. However, on my way out, I saw juvenile White Crowned Sparrows (100!!!).

On my way home I stopped at Pardon Gray hoping to find Eastern Meadowlarks (101). Not only did I find them, but also saw Northern Flicker (102). My friends Dick and Marge Bradley were only a mile away. They came to Pardon Grey to see the Eastern Meadowlarks with me. Fortunately, they hadn't moved and we all got great looks.

I had to be home very early today, so I rushed through the three places I went. I am happy to be over one hundred species in January. To put that into perspective, in 2016, I saw my 100th bird on April 3 and in 2018, last year when I aw 232 species, I saw number 100 on April 12. So I am way ahead of the game.

The leaders in Rhode Island have seen 121 species. Both of them are retired and I had missed an entire weekend of birding for work, so I am not complaining. I also saw this beauty this morning also



No comments:

Post a Comment