Thursday, January 17, 2019

Least Bittern and Walks

For the most part I'm stuck close to home this week. Our GM is in the Dominican this week so I am on call everyday. This means I can get a phone call at any point to handle an emergency at work.  However, so not to get burned out, I've been going on walks after work.

One day I hit the trails in Lincoln. Yesterday I went to Blackstone Park and Swan Point in Providence. Today I took a little chance and went to Trustom Pond. I was going to ask my boss if I could do a half day tomorrow, but since the weather is going to be bad, I left a little early today.

In the last three days I have seen three Barred Owls. I saw one in Lincoln on Tuesday and two today. I also saw a dozen deer on Tuesday. The highlight of my afternoons was a Least Bittern I saw today. This very small bird in the heron family has been hanging around Moonstone Beach for weeks. I saw it in 2018 but only parts of it. It hides in the reeds most of the time. Today I got great looks at it while it was fishing. I saw it catch two small fish.

After I left the Bittern I walked all of Trustom's trails. I saw another deer and a Fox Sparrow. I took a few pictures of the birds at the feeders.


















Downy Woodpecker



Red Bellied Woodpecker

Hooded Mergansers

No comments:

Post a Comment