Saturday, January 12, 2019

Black Headed Gull


As you would have guessed, I went birding today. I had planned on fishing during the afternoon but last minute I decided to walk to the end of Napatree Point and back. It is probably just as well, I needed the exercise.  I got two really good birds today. I saw a Greater White Fronted Goose in North Kingstown and a Yellow Breasted Chat at Trustom. One bird I went after but had already seen was Black Headed Gull. I saw two last week at Scarborough but couldn't get a picture. It is one species I've always wanted a picture of. So I carved out a few minutes hoping it was still there. One of the two was still there. I snapped a few photos. Black Headed Gulls do indeed have a black head during the summer. In the winter they look like this. They also have bright red legs.  Below the gull is a Downy Woodpecker. A very common bird, but this one wanted to pose.








No comments:

Post a Comment