Thursday, July 5, 2018

Mystic Seaport- Vikings!!!

You may have noticed I haven't written about any daytrips since I got back from vacation. This is because I had done absolutely nothing. I have another bulging disk in my neck and although the pain is nothing like it had been in the past, I'd really like it to heal. Between the neck and the oppressive heat, I didn't do anything on my last set of off days from work other than watch movies. I did not want to waste anymore precious offdays.

I went to Mystic Seaport today. Mystic Seaport is not a working port with goods coming in on barges. It is a living history museum in the same fashion as Old Sturbridge Village and Williamsburg, VA. It is on the Mystic River and it does represent a working seaport from the 1800's.

The reason I went was an exhibition with Vikings artifacts. The artifacts are on loan from Uppsala University, Sweden. This is the first time these artifacts have left Scandinavia. The artifacts are in the building you buy your tickets in. There wasn't a ton of stuff but it was awesome. There were two swords, a shield, and a couple helmets. There were also other things such as a drinking glass, decorations for their horses and beads that were traded to them. It only takes ten minutes to see it all, but that was plenty for me. More text below the three Viking pictures
Two Viking Swords

The Shield was huge. It was at least 4
feet in diameter

Viking Helmet

After I looked at the Vikings artifacts, I went to the planetarium. They have multiple shows a day about the night sky. It was interesting. The guy that ran the planetarium was funny in a very bad joke and pun sort of way. There is an additional cost of four dollars

Later in the day, I went back to the planetarium for a different show about Norse constellations. Just as fun.

In between the two shows I walked around the seaport. I went on the various vessels they have in port. There is a whaling ship named the Charles W. Morgan. There was a cadet training ship also there. It had been sunk and refloated. Apparently 22 souls were lost when it sank. There are other boats including a steamship. Some of them will take you for a ride around the river for a few dollars.

Like Sturbridge Village, there is a town. There is a blacksmith shop, a barrel maker, bank, church, etc... I went into most of the buildings. Some are staffed with living history guides that will answer your questions.  Some are just building with artifacts in them with a plaque to read.

I  bought lunch at the Galley Restaurant. It was the typical museum overprice that you would expect. However, the food was very good. I bought a grilled chicken sandwich with caramelized onions and mayo. There is only one size fountain drink ($2.75) but you can refill all day providing you don't destroy your paper cup. My meal cost me $15 but the fries were good, the sandwich delicious, and I was pretty full. Gladly, I didn't have a family of four to feed. I saw meals of seafood come out, the platters and fish and chip servings were huge.

All in all, it was a fun day. It was hot and humid in Mystic but there was a slight sea breeze. Compared to the steaminess back home it felt downright pleasant. The price is a steep $29 for an adult. Again, I'm glad I wasn't going with a family of four. I knew the cost long before I went today. I told myself even if Mystic Seaport sucks, I went to see the Viking artifacts. I was pleasantly surprised at how many ships they have to check out and how many buildings there were "in port".

Multiple pictures below the link

Any info should be easily obtainable on their website https://www.mysticseaport.org/



This is an exact replica of a lighthouse in Nantucket.
It is the shortest lighthouse on the East Coast
at 26 feet. 

The whaling ship Charles Morgan. She went out on 37
voyages. 

The Joseph Conrad. This is the training ship that
had sunk and was refloated.

No comments:

Post a Comment