Monday, July 16, 2018

I needed some easy fishing

Over the last couple of weeks, I have gone fishing in the Upper Bay most nights of the week. I know there isn't a lot there but it is a short ride. Usually my friend and I are hoping for two or three fish. Really, we just don't want to get skunked. The few fish that are there are small. However, it gets me out of the house, we have a few laughs, and catch a fish or two.

On Friday, with the new moon, I went to the best place in all of New England to catch a summer keeper. I got there at 5:45 am. By the time I got there, the banks were lined with hundreds of guys. I saw plenty of fish that had been caught. Yet, by that late hour of 6 am, it was over. The fish were just not feeding anymore. I fished hard throughout the day and ended up catching two fish. One was a schoolie but I was rewarded with a keeper of about 32 inches that I released. I put in eleven hours to catch those fish.

While going from one unproductive spot to another, I got a phone call from my friend Dick asking me if I wanted to go out on his boat on Saturday. I jumped on the opportunity to bottom bounce for groundfish. The phone call came at the perfect time. I'd been fishless to that point and it got rather warm out. Knowing I was going to go fishing with a good friend and catch some seabass got my adrenaline flowing and really perked me up.

I was technically on call Saturday morning, but made a couple phone calls to make sure the midpart of the day would be covered in any emergencies. I met Dick at 10 am and we were fishing by 10:30.

We fished in much deeper water with swifter currents than my two ounce jigs could manage. Luckily, Dick had plenty of bucktails and I tied on a pink one. To make a long story short we caught quite a few fish. It wasn't lights out fishing, but in the three hours we both caught over a dozen black sea bass each. Dick also caught a couple short fluke. It was just what the doctor ordered.

On one of my drops, as soon as it hit the bottom I reeled up and already had a fish on. I set the hook and my rod doubled over. It turned out to be my largest Black Sea Bass to date. It was over 23 inches. I was beyond pumped.

All in all, I had a great afternoon Saturday. Having a fishing session catching more than a couple fish was much needed. We talked about food, restaurants, and politics. I had a great time.

Later that evening, Laurie and I went to the PawSox game. We specifically went to the July 14 game because they had Jimmy Buffett  themed fireworks. Jimmy's attitude and songs are the biggest musical influence on my life. So none the less, it was AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment