Friday, July 20, 2018

Farewell Lynyrd Skynyrd

From Google Images
When Lynyrd Skynyrd announced this year's tour, they announced it would be their last. They were calling it quits after this one. I looked at the schedule and saw they were playing the Xfinity Center (Great Woods) on July 20. this caused a conundrum for me because I had planned my first New Hampshire hiking trip for this weekend. About a month ago, one of the bakers from work said he was going to Portugal on vacation from July 12-23. It was expected of me to cover his shifts, so that ended any debate of New Hampshire or Skynyrd.

I still waited until I got a decent weather report before I bought tickets. I didn't want to be miserable in hot sticky humidity like I was in Philly for Dropkick Murphys. It turns out I had nothing to worry about the weather was perfect.

Laurie and I got there as some opening act was in the middle of their set. Laurie got us a soda ($8 but it was refillable, so that wasn't bad). After the opening act were two other classic Southern Rock bands. The first was The Marshall Tucker Band. They only played a few songs but I sad that they didn't play one of their most popular songs "Heard it in a Love Song"

Next up was 38 Special. They played for about an hour.  They played all of theit biggest hits saving the most popular two for last "Hold on Loosely" and "Caught up in You". I was surprised that Donnie Van Zant (brother of Skynyrd's lead singer Johnny Van Zant) was no longer the lead singer. It turns out he wasn't been for five years.

Skynyrd came out at about 9:30.They played all of their hits. I knew almost every song. They had the place rocking especially during What's your Name" and "Give me Three Steps".

Their last two songs were their biggest hits. They rocked Great Woods with "Sweet Home Alabama", then brought it down with "Freebird"

It saddens me that Lynyrd Skynyrd is retiring. Obviously it means they are getting older. But more selfishly, it means I'm getting older too. I've seen them four times including the last time I was drunk in the summer of 2008. Thank you Skynyrd for the music and the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment