Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Striper Fishing has been Great!

This is one of the smaller fish I got this week
Many of you know the ocean front is really bad right now. Parking and access are very tough. I am happy to report I have been catching a lot of fish in Upper Narragansett Bay. I have been out every day/night this month. From Nov 1 to Nov 6 I have averaged 11 fish a night. I have been finding them in upper reaches of salt rivers and salt ponds.  So there are fish still around.

Keep in mind these fish are not giants. They have averaged 18-22 inches. A couple have run 24 or 25 inches. I have been using a seven foot medium freshwater rod to catch these fish. The reel is spooled with 10 pound line. All fish were caught on 3/8 ounce jigs or zoom flukes. These size fish are a lot of fun on light tackle.   I have found the fish to be very aggressive. I have seen some fish chasing bait even after dark. I have not run into any concentrations of blitzing fish. Most of the fish seem to be alone and I have to keep moving to find fish.

 I have been out in northeast and north winds the last few nights. I assume the night time temps were in the high twenties the last few nights. One day I fished in the rain. I know that the good fishing won't last much longer so I have been willing to be out in these uncomfortable conditions to catch fish.

The point of this post is to let you know not to give up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment