Saturday, July 9, 2022

Pretty Good Day Herping

 

Northern Water Snake 

After blowing sixty dollars worth of gas yesterday, the thought of birding South County did not appeal to me. I thought about kayking the upper bay looking for Diamondback Terrapins, but my back has been hurting and didn't want to deal with loading and unloading my kayak. However, today was a gorgeous day in southern New England and I didn't want to waste it. After some lollygagging I decided to go herping. 

   I had a pretty good day. I saw about nine Pickerel Frogs which is probably four more than I'd ever seen total. I ran across some very tiny baby Fowler's Toads at the same place. It took my about four hours before I found my first and only snake. It was a two foot long Northern Water Snake.

 Later in the day I went out again. I found bullfrogs, Painted Turtles, and Snapping Turtles. I didn't see any snakes or anything rare. I did get a good photo of a blue dragonfly and I did see a bunch of invasive Green Sunfish.

Baby Fowler's Toad

Green Sunfish

Slaty Skimmer (Mike Tucker gave me the ID)

Snapping Turtle thrilled to see me

Painted Turtle 

Pickerel Frog




No comments:

Post a Comment