Friday, July 15, 2022

Butterflies and Local #8

Aphrodite Flitillary

    I've been asked if I gave up birding since I've spent so much time looking for snakes, frogs, and turtles. The answer is no. I still look for birds. This is a slow time of year for birding, so bad that I purposely take my vacation in June. The shorebirds will be back soon and there will be birds to look at again.

  When I go to Francis Carter, I'm looking for everything. I look for the grassland birds, snakes, and butterflies. Anything worth a photo makes me happy. Today, I went to Carter and all I saw were butterflies and a few birds. No reptiles at all. The highlight birds were an Indigo Bunting posing on a dead tree and three Orchard Orioles. 

  Butterflies were awesome. The highlight was an Aphrodite Fritillary. It was only the second I've seen. I also saw Monarchs, Eastern Wood Nymphs (everywhere), Juvenal's Duskywing.

  I also went to the Breachway mudflats today. The only good sighting was seeing my friend Carlos Pedro. There were a couple Piping Plovers but for the most part, it was dead. 

   

Huge Fowler's Toad

So I decided to head towards home and go local. Uxbridge may not be next door for me, but it is an easy ride, and I've been spending a lot of time there. Today I found a huge Fowler's Toad and I caught a Pickerel Frog in my net. This ha taken me repeated tries. I did manage to see two snakes today. I saw the back end of a Garter slithering away and part of a Northern Water Snake thar was obstructed by vegetation.  All in all, not a bad July day.





My defeated quarry not realizing he would be free
with one hop. Pickerel Frog


No comments:

Post a Comment