Saturday, July 23, 2022

Local #10 and 11 A Water Snake and a Black Swallowtail


   Not only are gas prices keeping me local but so is the heat and my back. The heat is self evident. It is hot. My lower back has been messed up for almost a month now. I've had very little desire to take long drives to see birds. Last week I did go to Francis Carter but other than that my rides have ben short.

   A few days ago I went to Stony Brook Wildlife Refuge in Norfork, MA. It was a quiet day there. I saw a hummingbird, Purple Martins, and a big Snapping Turtle but not much else. I didn't write about it because, frankly, there wasn't much to write about.

   After a late morning I went back to Attleboro Springs Wildlife Sanctuary today. For the second time this year I saw a Northern Water Snake eat a meal. Today's unlucky contestant was a small frog. The light was bad and I was too close for good photos but it was fun to watch. After it's meal, the snake moved into a little opening where I could at least get a photo of it.

   Before I left, I ran into two Black Swallowtail Butterflies. Since I'm "collecting" photos of butterflies I've seen this year I was happy to get some photos of them. 


Black Swallowtail

The snake trying to turn the frog for consumption

No comments:

Post a Comment