Friday, October 5, 2018

200th Species of Bird in Rhode Island

Bird species 199
American Pipit
Today I reached a milestone for the year. I saw my 200th bird species in Rhode Island for the year. I broke my old record of 161 months ago, but I really didn't think I'd get to two hundred. Yesterday I saw my 199th species; American Pipit at Snake Den Farm.

Today I struck out at the first three places I went looking for target birds. First I went back to Snake Den hoping to see a Lark Sparrow without any luck. Then I stopped at Dragon Palace in Coventry that had a Sora there last week, again no luck. After that I went to Napatree hoping to see a Long Billed Dowitcher, but ended up going 0-3.

After 90 minutes of fishing I went to Trustom to see what was around. Out on the pond were a bunch of Ruddy Ducks along with other species. Ruddy Duck became my 200th species in Rhode Island.

I've seen 200 species in Rhode Island
I've seen 19 other species in other New England states that I haven't seen in RI for an obvious total of 219.

My previous New England high was 182 so that number is also obliterated. There are still a few fairly easy birds I missed so I think it is possible to get close to 210 in RI and 230 New England. We will see. Either way, it has been a fun year.

No comments:

Post a Comment