Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Napatree Red Knot Revenge and below the pictures a Fishing Report

Last time I went to Napatree on May 20 I saw and photographed Red Knots. This was on my to do bucket list for 2018. However, the clouds came in just as I was nearing them and my pictures came out dark. I lightened a couple of the best ones and posted them. Still, I felt they were little more than proof pictures. I had thought about going back in the hopes that Red Knots would still be there.

The problem was, there wasn't any point in going if it was cloudy, I already had dark photos. Today's forecast was for sunny skies and a beautiful low humidity day. Once I got out of work I headed for the ocean. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, even as I as driving down. I had the kayak on the car so I thought about going to the Charlestown Mudflats. Also, it looked as though the ocean was flat as a pancake and I could actually try for blackfish from the kayak. 

Finally I decided to me make the long ride to Napatree. The sky was a bright blue and I had the perfect tide. I got a parking spot on the street (two hour parking) and hustled out to the cove. At first it looked like there were very few birds. However, the more I looked the more I found. I didn't see any knots though. I took the walk around the lagoon and they were on the other side. I got past them and turned around. The sun was at my back and the birds were in full light.I took dozens of pictures of the birds. A couple came out as I had hoped. The good news is I can check photographing Red Knots off of my bucket list. The better news is I don't have to drive out and walk to Napatree again until the fall! Pictures below then a fishing report




a   

After I left Napatree, I had a long ride back. But I didn't go home. I met my friend Dave and his son Jon for some striper fishing. We caught an absolute ton of fish. I didn't get there until 7:15 and still ended up with my highest total of the year. I saw two keepers caught and many decent sized schoolies. Most of the fish were caught on a Zoom fluke on a jighead, but the bigger ones were caught on swimmers. Fishing has been very good the last couple weeks. I went on Sunday night also. I "only" caught eight fish. I considered it a slow night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment