Thursday, May 3, 2018

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and other birds at Trustom

There must be a rare bird around
It kills me to be at work during the morning in May. I know all the retired birders are out seeing woods dripping with colorful birds. As soon as I got out of work today, I headed straight for Trustom Pond. Besides the birds, it was 92 degrees at home but only 67 at the ocean. That seemed like plenty of reason to go birding even if it was afternoon.

On Wednesday a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was spotted at Trustom. That is a very rare bird for this area. They don't normally venture north of the southeastern U.S. I hadn't heard anything about it all day on Thurs, so I assumed it left. I really went to Trustom because it was close to the ocean. I hoped to see new migrants, but thought the S-T Flycatcher was gone.

I was wrong, someone pointed it out to me within five minutes of being there. There was a whole gaggle of birders photographing it. After fifteen minutes, I moved on to see what else I could find. To my surprise, birding was pretty decent. I picked up some new birds for the year and got a few good photos.

New birds besides flycatcher- House Wren, Catbird, Prairie Warbler, Orchard Oriole

Some photos below

Any questions ho it got its name
are answered with this picture


Black and white warbler above and the picture below


Yellow Rump

Yellow Warbler

Prairie Warbler

Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher and the picture below


House Wren

House Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment