Friday, July 27, 2012

Out going Catin'

Since I am still nursing my sore knee it seemed like a good idea not to do any "adventures" on my days off. I  sat around most of the day. The highlight was watching "Act of Valor". I got bored sitting around and decided to go fishing. My options were limited. I wasn't going to risk taking the walk on a sandy spit at Conimicut or for that matter take any long walks at all.  Besides, my knee is feeling much better today, so I don't want to mess it up again. I could barely walk on it after work the last few days, so I am really trying to be smart.

I decided to go catfishing at a spot I could sit in my car if I wanted too. I got to my destination about dark. There was a family fishing in the spot I wanted to fish. So I fished across the street. I used two rods and fished with hot dogs.  I didn't get any hits. Then the family left so I moved all my gear to the spot.

Within minutes I hooked into a big catfish. It ended up being about 17 inches. I'm pretty sure it was a white catfish.

There  is a controversy in Rhode Island about if there are channel cat in the state. There are plenty of reliable reports from a lot of experienced fishermen. RI DEM, in their wisdom, denies these claims.

However, this fish had a huge head. That is a tell tale sign of a white cat. Both whites and channels have a forked tail. This fish clearly had that. After I let it go I caught three more catfish but they were all bullheads. One was almost as big as the first catfish, but it had the rounded tail of a bullhead.

* I think I will be spending a couple days a week catfishing between now and Sept 1. Catching big cats is fun. The only issue is the place I fished tonight gets crowded. I tried fishing there last night. When I pulled up at 8:40 last night, there was five or six cars parked. I just drove back home.  I will pick my nights but would really like to catch a catfish over 20 inches.

** The name of this post is the title of a country song by the group Sawyer Brown

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick! Glad to hear you've been having fun with the Catfish. Quick question: do you rig your baits for catfish on the hair as you would for carp?

    -Ben Keefe (RI CAG)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben, I put the hot dog chunk right on a size 2 hook.Hope fishing is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete