Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July and August

If your wondering why I haven't wrote anything since I got back from Maine, well hoss, I haven't done anything worthwhile. My car neeeded work so I did NOTHING on my two days off of Friday and Saturday.

However, my car was fixed today and I was sick of sitting around watching movies. So I went and did a little bass fishing tonight. It wasn't the best night fishing but it was nice to be outside.

So anyway now that my Maine vacation is two weeks in the past and we are clearly into summer pattern I have been trying to figure out my summer plans. Striper fishing sucks right now. I'm not a huge fan of ninety five degree days and neither are carp. So most of my summer plans are going to be evening and night fishing. I plan on doing a couple of day trips also.

The problem with summer is that most of the things I can do are not worth it to me to justify the gas. I'll give you an example. During spring, I have no problem driving down the Cape to trout fish some kettle ponds. I look forward to my next adventure after I'm done with my last. Yet, I can't bring myself to drive down to Chatham to striper fish. There are just to many variables that it makes the trip too much of a gamble.  Chatham can have great fishing. Unfortunately, the chances of outer Cape beaches being unfishable because of a seaweed called " mung" are always high. Also so many seals summer on the Cape, they can shut down the fishing.

So since striper fishing is about done for me till September ( except maybe one trip to Jamestown) my summer plans will be closer to home. Ideas I have for the next two months.

1. Combine a fishing trip of carp and catfish.

2. Go scup fishing in Warwick ( maybe Wednesday night)

3. More evening bass fishing

4. Try some fluke fishing down on the West West Wall.

For daytrips, as always I plan on getting to New Hampshire at least once this month.

Thursday I'm going to Prudence Island. There I'm going to do a little snorkling. Maybe try scup fishing at high tide (3 pm). In Rhode Island only residents can harvest clams for free. Non residents can buy a shellfish license for $112. So I can not tell you that I will bring a bottle of Tabasco sauce and find a couple littlenecks for lunch... that would be illegal.

Another fun summer thing I do is go to Charlestown Beach. I can bird the mud flats in the salt pond. Theres thousands of shorebirds. I can swim at the beach. I can also fish in the breachway and aslong the breakwater. If I got bored I could always hit the West Wall or East Wall on the way home. Combining two trips into one to save gas and driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment