Thursday, April 26, 2012

Trouble at the Trout Pond

Believe it or not, for various reasons I barely got to fish this week. Tonight after work was the beginning of my next two days off. Even though it was rainy I decided to go fly fishing. I hadn't been to the fly fishing only pond this year.  I got to the pond about 6:15 and put my kayak in. I ended up catching five trout and a couple sunfish. It was nice feeling trout fight on my long rod and I really enjoyed myself. About an hour into fishing an old guy came to the pond. He was watching me fish. I assumed he just wanted to get out of the house. Surprisingly, he stayed at the pond for over an hour. He wasn't fishing, seems to me that I would have been bored if I were him.

Right before dark he yelled out to me. This is the conversation we had

Him " How many did you get"
Me   " Five"
Him  "Really!"  ( he only saw me catch two, I got the other three before he got there he seemed disturbed that I caught so many)
Me      "Yup"
Him    "Is this the first time you ever fished here"
Me     "  Its the first time this year, I fished a lot last year"
Him  " I've never seen you before, you know no one fishes from a boat here"

Me   " Well there's no law against it. Besides if anyone was fishing from shore I would not crowd them"
Him " Well no one does it"
Me   " No one was fishing tonight so I didn't bother anyone, I've had this whole lake to myself on Friday nights, Like I said, if I saw someone fishing from shore, I'd fish far away from them"
Him   " Well its not gonna make you any friends"
Me " I'm not trying to make friends or enemies, I just wanna fish"
Him  " It will make you enemies. Some of the guys can cast where you are now.
Me   "Then I would stay away from there cast"
Him    ( He could see I was ready to leave because it was dark " Be safe"

 The conversation was polite. I did not raise my voice in an angry tone at all. He made it clear that my kayak was not welcome, but he was also polite in words not so much in tone.

Now here is what I have to say. There are no rules against canoes, kayaks or float tubes at this fly fishing only pond. I can pretty much put a kayak anywhere short of a public pool because it has no motor. Just because no one else has put a kayak in doesn't mean they can't. I would never crowd out shore guys. I make no noise, I am careful to gently rest my paddle down so not to spook fish.  I barely paddle so I can keep rising fish within my casting distance.  I release every fish I catch from this pond. Its fun to watch the whole lake covered in rises in a pond loaded with trout. I won't ruin it by keeping fish. Also NO ONE WAS FISHING THIS POND TONIGHT BUT ME SO WHO THE F*** WAS I BOTHERING!!!

So let me warn anyone that may fish this pond that reads my blog: I don't give a shit if other people don't put boats there. I will continue to do so. I will be quiet, and respectful. I expect the same from you. Chances are, I will catch more fish than you, so deal with it. Not because I am a better fisherman. I am sure you are a much better caster than I am , but because I have more room to move around and find fish. If you don't like it, than spend a hundred dollars and buy a belly boat that way you can do the same.

I do not want or expect to be harassed. If I am, the next night I will be back with an Armada of canoes, kayaks and belly boats for myself, son and all his friends. I am sure you will not enjoy your fishing then. I am very mellow and relaxed, however if my fishing experienced is ruined because your a douche bag, I guarantee, I will ruin yours as well! Call it immature, but I was not made to turn the other cheek!

No comments:

Post a Comment