Tuesday, April 10, 2012

50th Trout of the Year landed

While I was down the Cape last Thursday I landed my fiftieth trout of the year.I am a list/ chart guy. I can't help it. I like comparing stats. So I keep track of how many, how caught and where. Here are the stats for the first fifty I caught this year and also compared to the first fifty caught last year in parenthesis


Date I caught number 50     April 5  ( last year May 9)
Number of days I caught at least 1 trout - 9 ( last year 16)

Pond I caught the most                    Fearings     17 ( last year Falls 30 )

Species

Rainbows             32       (46)
Browns                 13      (3)
Brookies                 5      (1)

Number of different lakes  6    (4)

How caught

Spinner ( Roostertail)                    30     (6)
Spoon   ( Kastmaster)                   13      (1)
Fly fishing ( with fly rod)               2      (9)
Casting Bubble/ Fly                        3     (12)
Powerbait                                        2     (20)

Kepp in mind that I know these statistics don't say much. Still theres a few things that can be taken away from them.

-Last year I caught 2/5 of my trout on Powerbait. This year only two trout. I made a decision to use lures and avoid Powerbait as much as I can

- I've caught 18 trout that are not rainbows so far this year, only 4 last year. This is because I'm spending more time down the Cape and Plymouth where they stock more browns and brookies

- I caught my first  trout last year March 31 and my fiftieth on May 9. I don't know how many trout I will catch this year or how much time I will even fish for them but I am way ahead of last year. I caught my 40th trout March 31 this year.

- I caught more on the fly rod in the first 50 last year. I normally don't start seriously fly fishing until the second or third week of April, so thats not a suprise.

- It took me 16 successful outing to catch 50 trout last year. Thats a little over 3 trout/ outing. This year I did it in 9. Also I really caught 65 trout in those nine trips I'm averaging over seven trout a trip. I'd like to say its because I'm so much better than last year, but more likely its because I've taken a couple all day fishing trips and ran into some fresh stockies a couple times. Nothing like a 26 trout day to boost your average.

No comments:

Post a Comment