Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pond hopping leads to my best trout day ever! 26!



Today was my first of two consecutive days off. My plan for today was to fish at Nickerson State Park in Brewster, MA ( far down the Cape) I planned on fishing there all day and learn the ponds as much as I could. I left the house before seven. Much to my surprise, I was at the front gate in ninety minutes. I planned on it taking two hours. I first fished the boat ramp area of Big Cliff Pond. When I got there a guy said he just caught a brown. Good news I thought. The wind was strong in my face so my only real option was a spoon. I worked the shore line on both sides of the ramp. Never got a hit. I probably covered about 1/3 of a mile.

I thought no big deal, there are other ponds to explore. I then went to Flax. The wind was also in my face. Even though this pond is smaller than Big Cliff, the wind was much stronger. I bet it was over 35 mph. No luck there. I then drove to a parking area between Big and Little Cliff.  Little Cliff was calm and the wind at my back. I worked my way around the open areas of the pond. I caught two pickerel and 1 brookie. At least I wasn't going home skunked!! However that is a hell of a ride for one trout.

I fished Little Cliff about an hour then tried Big Cliff on the other side of the parking area. No luck again. I then drove to the calm side of Flax hoping there might be rising fish and I could use my fly rod... Nope.... At this point it was 12:45. I'd been fishing for fours without much to show for it, and worse the wind was brutal.

I decided I was done with Nickerson and instead of fishing there all day I'd try some other spots on my way home until I caught trout. Worse case scenario was I wouldn't catch anything but it would break up my ride into pieces.  I drove back to Sandwich and fished a pond I've only fished a couple times before.  On my way to Sandwich ( heading west) the sky was covered in clouds. There was no sun to be seen. This perked me up. I was very happy with the cloud cover and thought it might get the trout in the mood to eat. The pond is only a few acres and a good portion of it has a wooded shoreline. When I walked to the windy side, it still wasn't bad. I could cast a roostertail far enough so I put on the yellow coachdog color that weighs 1/16 ounce.

The fish started hitting almost on my first cast. My first fish was a brown then a brookie. I thought right then I had a shot at a trout trifecta since all I needed was a rainbow and they are pretty common. I  caught ten trout on the Roostertail in about an hour. I did get a rainbow so I got my first trifecta of the year. The ten trout got broken up like this eight browns, one rainbow and one brookie. I decided to go back to the car and get my fly rod.

I came back with it and my spinning rod. The fish were on the shoreline with the wind coming at me. I couldn't get my fly out deep enough. Every time the wind would calm down I'd try it. I didn't get anything on it. However... I was still nailing them on the Roostertail. I worked the shoreline a few times. I ended up catching twenty five trout at this pond! It was awesome. The final breakdown was 16 browns, 7 brookies and two rainbows.

At 5:15 I decided to leave. The wind was calming down and the water was almost flat. I thought I could catch an insect hatch at Fearings. This was a mistake. I got caught in over a mile of traffic backed up at the Sagamore Bridge. After that I got caught in traffic along the Cape Cod Canal for another fifteen minutes at the rotary. I didn't get to Fearings until past 6:30. What I should have done was stay at the pond in Sandwich. The fish were still hitting. If the wind would have completely died I could have put in my kayak and got them on the fly rod. Lesson learned.

Twenty six fish for the day was still my best day ever by 6. Also, I caught 16 browns and 7 brookies made it that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment