Wednesday, April 18, 2012

11 Year old kid catches 23 pounder

One of the women I work with ( Holly) has a son that loves to fish. His name is Ronnie. I've known him and his mother for a few years now. Ronnie loves to fish and be outdoors. Ever since I got rehired at work, Holly has mentioned Ronnie has been wanting to go fishing with me.  This was school vacation week so I took Ronnie fishing.

I didn't know what we would fish for when I left for work this morning, so I packed EVERYTHING. I was prepared for kayaking, saltwater, carp, and panfish. I hoped to use the kayak. What 11 year old boy wouldn't want to paddle a kayak. When I went to pick him up, the pond that we were going to fish was glass calm. This got me looking forward to catching a boatload of perch.

By the time we got to the pond 45 minutes later, it was a little breezy, but it kept getting stronger. We fished from the kayak about a half hour before giving it up.  I had pre baited an area in case we fished for carp. After taking the 'yaks out of the water and setting up our rods we had about 90 minutes to fish. Ronnie was casting meal worms catching plenty of sunfish when one of the rods went off.

I did not pick it up. I wanted it to be his fish if he landed it. He set the hook and the fish started taking line. After at least a five minute battle, Ronnie landed his first carp ( there is dispute whether he ever caught a very small one but based on his description, I think he caught a large golden shiner before).

His fish was enormous. It weighed 23 pounds. I have to say it looked bigger. I weighed it three times to be sure. First carp/ 23 pounds. My biggest also 23 pounds, I've been at it 11 years. I can't say Ronnie was gleaming with a smile that wouldn't come off. His expression was more like disbelief on how big the fish was. That was my exression too. The fish was so big, there was no way he was going to hold it, so we laid it on the ground while he held it from squirming for a picture.

Good job Ronnie!

No comments:

Post a Comment