Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Wachusett Blues

So for the last week I had been planning to spend today and Wednesday in New Hampshire. I worked every day last week because of T.S. Irene and even got overtime on Sunday. So having my first days off in a while, I was going to go to New Hampshire. Unfortunately, Mother Nature thought she'd throw me a curve ball and rain for three straight days. I am not afraid to fish in the rain. I do it all the time. However the thought of fishing in the rain, setting the tent up in the rain, eating lunch in the rain, getting out of my tent in the middle of the night to pee in the rain, and taking down the tent in the rain did not appeal to me. So I thought better of it and decided to stay home.

I only decided to stay home at 6:15 this morning. Everything was in the car, it was gassed up and I was ready to go. I had made plans to fish with Clay while up there. I knew the ponds I was going to fish. It was all planned out. When I got up I checked the weather one last time and it was discouraging to say the least. From 7:00 am until Wed night it was supposed to rain all daylight hours except possibly a couple hours before dark today. Not exactly comfortable.

So after I decided not to go I went back to bed but couldn't sleep. I was back up playing on the computer by 7:30. I was pissed I was going to waste my day off watching tv. At first I thought about writing about 10 blog posts. At least I would have done something useful. That idea, although productive was not what I had in mind when I found out what days I'd have off this week. So after a couple hours of sulking and checking the weather channel every hour I finally figured out what to do with my day.

... I went up to Wachusetts Reservoir. I left the house about noon after packing all necessary gear. I assumed since the rain was cold and the air temp only about sixty, the fish might be active. I was hoping to catch some smallmouth and or rock bass. Both species like cool water, so I thought this weather would activate them and get them out of there summer doldrums.

WRONG!!!

Although I fished for five and a half hours ( that is 330 looooooong minutes!) Although I bought worms and shiners at the bait store. Although I tried every lure in my box. Although I tried many locations on the lake. Although the weather was rainy and drizzly my entire trip.... I only caught one very small smallmouth.  It was maybe eight inches.
Yes it rained more than it didn't. My feet and shorts were soaked. I was all clammy from my raincoat ( when I wore it) . The fish just did not cooperate today. The water did feel very warm. So I guess the smallmouth probably will stay deep for another couple of weeks until the water cools into the 60's.

 Like I said before, this is a huge lake with miles of shoreline. I would like to learn its secrets. Ive read all I can about it. Now its just a matter of putting in the time to learn the lake. The problem is its an hour away so finding the time and gas to get there is tricky. I think I'll give it another shot towards the end of the month or early October. I need to get even.

No comments:

Post a Comment