Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Go Figure!!

If you are a fan of baseball and watch enough games I am sure you have had the following thought. When your team ( the Red Sox) looses Monday 1-0 then the next night score 14 runs. It would have been nice to have some of those runs Monday. Why can't they spread it out. It would be nice to score 5 runs every night instead of having horrible games and great games.

That is EXACTLY how my last two days have gone for me. If you read the post below, you will see I did terrible fishing Wachusetts Reservoir yesterday. Fishing for over 5 1/2 hours and only catching one small bass.

When I left "the Chu" I still had three shiners left. I wasn't sure if I'd use them but, since I also had today off from work, I'd try. So I went to a pond in North Attleboro just to catch a pickerel or bass. I did not expect to stay long. I figured either I'd catch a fish or two, or let the shiners go. As I walked to the fishing spot, I saw what looked to be trout in the water. I wasn't positive, they were long and lean, from above, they could have been a pickerel since they had a greenish back. I could see they did not have the black line of a bass.

So I casted into what can only be called a tiny cove ( if it were a river it would be a small pool). I had on one of the shiners. I saw a couple fish toy with it. I made a couple more casts. Finally on the 3rd or 4th, I caught a rainbow trout. I was pretty shocked. Considering I couldn't catch anything yesterday in a coldwater lake, I caught a trout in a place I didn't think they'd hold over. It was very skinny, but it  made it through the summer.

I put the spinning rod away. I got my fly rod out of the car. I realized I only had the fly tied onto the leader. I left all my other flies at the house. I sure as hell didn't expect to do any trout fishing today. So I made a couple casts with my size 14 flashback pheasant tail. I hooked another trout, then another. All told I ended up catching six total trout ( one on the shiner, five on the fly rod) and hooked another that came off. This all happened in a period of forty-five minutes. I also caught a bunch of sunfish on the fly, probably over 20.


I also caught what is possibly my smallest fish ever on a hook. Keep in mind, I have specificlly fished for shiners and minnows before in ponds and rivers. They still measure up more than this adorable little bass. Tell me that isn't cute!




No comments:

Post a Comment