Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A bad two days of fishing

In the spirit of sharing the good with the bad here is my story of my two days off this week. Most weeks unless anything unusual happens (like T.S. Irene) Friday and Saturdays are my days off. Last week some great fishing was taking place along the Rhode Island shore. I had to wait until Friday to experience it. The phrase " a dollar short and a day late" completely explains my weekend.

On Friday I went down with my buddy Jeff Henderson. We left home while it was still dark. We went to the West Wall in hopes of starting our day with false albacore. For those that don't know, these fish are small tuna. They come inshore to feed on small fish. They are very fast and very picky. Also, hooking one does not guarantee landing one. Neither of us had ever seen one, so the thought of catching one of these speedsters was worth loosing some sleep.

We fished hard at the wall for over 3 hours. We saw one hooked and lost. No others were hooked as best we could tell. I caught a small keeper striper but let it go. That was the only other fish we even saw hooked.

After we gave up on the West Wall, we headed for Narragansett looking for bait and stripers. To our disappointment, we found neither. For the next 4 hours we hit many spots, but all we could manage was one small schoolie each. We left about 2:30 disappointed but not defeated.

The next morning after dropping DJ off at cross country practice, I called Jeff and woke him up. I asked him if he wanted to give the ocean another shot. He had family commitments so he couldn't go.  Jeff definitely had the better day. I fished from 9:30 am until after dark. I caught one small bluefish. Ouch... I know right. I hit multiple spots and some of the better producers more than once. What a waste of gas!

The only saving grace was I talked to my friend Dave and he said his son spent all day Friday fishing and had similar luck. So at least I knew that the fish had moved on and I didn't suck at fishing! Here's hoping it gets better!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment