Monday, May 22, 2023

Photos with Friends

 

Tim Metcalf and I

   A couple weeks ago I decided that I wanted to start getting photos with some of my bird mates. I posted on Facebook (about thirty of my birder friends are Facebook friends) that I wanted to get photos of them to collect as memories throughout the year. Of course, I have friends that are not on Facebook so I'll have to ask them for photos and explain this whole project to them individually. 

   The whole idea came about just because May is here and I know a lot of people will be out. I have collected a lot of great photos of birds but very few of birders. I can always upgrade some of the birds I've seen, and I have. So far, I have fifteen upgrades this year. I think it is fun to take photos of birds (and any wildlife). I suspect taking photos of wildlife will be a lifelong passion. But I wanted to add photos of my friends too because in the end, that's what birding is about.

   I am very surprised by the support I have gotten from my friends about this. I hate getting my picture taken. So no matter what, at least half of the people in the photo are already uncomfortable. I suspect many of my friends also aren't thrilled about being in photos. So I certainly understand most people might feel the same way.

  The opposite has been true so far. I've had multiple people come up to me and say we need to get a photo together. In fact, the morning after I posted my status, Tim Metcalf took out his phone and took a selfie with me just so he could be first. Besides Tim I've had about five people ask for a photo. 

    Besides not enjoying my photo being taken in the first place, I'm pretty happy in my little social distancing bubble. So just the mere fact that I need to get close to people is somewhat uncomfortable for me. But, I have been making it a point to put my arm around my friends as we get photos together.

   It is my hope that when something great happens I can get a photo of the occasion. An example would be if myself and another birder get a lifer together. Another instance would be a group of us going on a whale watch (this is how I plan to get a photo of Scott, shhh!). I have no problem with just getting photos with my friends, but I do hope some of the photos will capture happy moments in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment