Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Crazy Colored Little Blue Heron

 


   Allen's Cove in Quonset usually has Little Blue Heron's and Yellow Crowned Night Herons show up every year. Both species are rare in  Rhode Island. Of all of the coves in Rhode Island from the south coast up to Providence, I can't tell you why this cove is the most consistent place for both species to show up. 

   Last week the YCNH showed up and I got some photo upgrades. The next day my friend Sue went to see them. While she was there a Little Blue flew in. She said it was a pretty one. Since I 'm not keeping a list I'm not chasing rare birds. However, I had two hours to kill yesterday in the late afternoon so I decided to go to Allen's Cove.

   When I pulled in I ran into my friends Allison and Richard. I talked to them in the parking lot for a few. Then Allison decided to walk down to the bird with me. Not surprisingly, it was right where she left it. I've seen dozens of Little Blues between here and Florida but I've never seen one with a bright blue bill before. The color blue was neon. I looked at for a few minutes. It was feeding on small fish during the rising tide. It was quite beautiful. 

   The bird could be seen from the bike path walking down from the parking area on Marine Rd.

Extremely Cropped

No comments:

Post a Comment