Saturday, May 27, 2023

More Herps while birding

 I spent a good chunk of May looking for birds. However, as the day would progress and the birds got quiet I started looking down more and more for herps. I was pretty successful. Besides the Spotted Turtles I came across some other good stuff. 

   One frog Laurie found was a Pickerel Frog. I tried to grab it but it hopped about four feet to the water. Would have like to get a photo because it was a lifer for Richard.

   The best thing I saw, I didn't find. My friend Allison O'Conner and I both went to a meeting at Kettle Pond. We both got there early to bird, though she was there before me. When I ran into her, she told me about a Grey Tree Frog she had just seen. So we raced out to go see it. Photo Below

I came across this small Northern Water Snake while walking back to the car one day with Richard Tucker. I found it, he grabbed it, we both got a photo holding it, we let it go.

                                                         Richard holding the Water Snake
                                                       And myself



This was another Northern Water Snake I spooked near a pond. It only slithered to a tree limb near the water and we watched it for a few minutes. Myself, Laurie, and Richard.

                                                     American Toad
                                                        Out of focus Garter Snake
                                                        Another Toad

No comments:

Post a Comment