Tuesday, June 28, 2022

North Carolina Herps

 

It is pretty obvious that I have been looking for reptiles a lot lately. When I was in North Carolina that was no different. Anytime I stumbled on a reptile or amphibian I took photos of it. If I didn't know what it was, at least I could get a photo and identify it later.  I knew there was a chance to see gators at Alligator River NWR and I'd see many species of turtles there. Other than that, I really didn't know what to expect. 
   
   I was vey happy to find a couple species of lizards and two species of snakes. I saw the Cottonmouths within a couple miles of my campsite in the Hattaras area. I was probably more surprised to see the Rat Snakes at Alligator River. I've been there five days now, and have only seen snakes on one of them.

   All in all, I had a great time chasing herps. I could go on and on about the Cottonmouths I saw, but I already did that. Looking for reptiles and amphibians is just another thing for me to appreciate in nature. 

Missing are photos of Five Lined Skink. I saw two, but they wee too quick for me to get a photo.

 


Yellow Bellied Slider

Melanistic Yellow Bellied Slider 

Four of the eleven Cottonmouths I saw

Cottonmouth at Alligator River


Baby Red Eared Slider

American Toad

Spotted Turtle

Eastern Glass Lizard, a legless lizard
in our campsite one morning

Broad Headed Skink, 
above and a different one below


The first Eastern Rat Snake we saw

...and a second one


Eastern Box Turtle

American Alligator,
Alligator NWR




Full photo of the Box Turtle


A shy Mud Turtle, I waited but it didn't
come out if its shell, so I moved it across the road

These frogs are Squirrel Tree Frogs.
I do not know why one has smooth skin
and others have rougher skin but
they are the same species



This pic and the one below are of Northen
Red-Bellied Cooters. Seen at the 
Yorktown Battlefield

 



No comments:

Post a Comment