Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Herping

 

Green Frog 

   Truth be told, I have spent as much time looking down in the woods this spring as I have looking up. As usual, I have enjoyed seeing birds in migration. However, I've spent almost as much time looking for herps. Herping is looking for reptiles and amphibians.  While looking for birds I have spent a lot of time looking at shorelines and in the grass for snakes, frogs, and turtles. So far I have been pretty lucky. When birders find a rare bird they can not wait to tell the world. The opposite is true of herps, telling people where a snake is could spell disaster for the snake. A snake hater could kill it or a hobbyist could take it as a pet. So when it comes to herps, I will not be providing location. 

   The year started with a quest to see Spring Peepers. I found some in a little pond in North Attleboro after sitting by the water for an hour. This experience really peaked my interest in herps. Since then I have tried to find them everywhere I have went. Rhode Island's best amature herpster (not sure it it's a real word, but it fits) is a guy named Greg Nemes. Greg spent a lot of time finding snakes all over the state. Unfortunately, Greg moved to Los Angeles. However, I sent him a message asking him if he could give me some pointers on how to look for snakes. He was so unselfish with his info, his email back took me ten minutes to read! He told me about all the snake species in RI, their habits, and some info on turtles and frogs. It was really kind and awesome.   

 

Bullfrog and Green Frog staring contest

   So far I have been lucky in my adventures. I have most of the New England frog and toad calls memorized. I learned a Pickerel Frog call from one at Trustom that called for an hour. I've heard Grey Tree Frogs almost everywhere I go birding but have yet to see one which is probably my biggest frustration so far. 

   I saw two Spotted Turtles in the pond that has the Great Blue Heron rookery . I've been back there four times since but haven't seen them again.  I have seen a couple of Garter Snakes but I have to remember to look closely to see if they are Ribbon Snakes. 

I've had great luck seeing Green Frogs and Bullfrogs. Last week, Laurie and I had a great look at a huge Bullfrog that was calling. We could watch it expand its yellow throat. 

Black Racer

   June 2, I had one of the best herp days of my life. While birding with Sue Palmer we saw a Northern Water Snake eat an eight inch Largemouth Bass. It took about forty five minutes. The snake was less than two inches wide. But it somehow swallowed a bass that was at least four inches from belly to dorsal fin. 


   Later while I was alone I came across a Black Racer. I had seen the tail end of a black snake before but today was the first Racer that I actually saw the whole body and head. It was so beautiful. One of the prettiest animals I have ever seen. 

Below is the series of photos of the Northern Water Snake eating the bass in various stages. The photos downloaded backwards, so scroll to the bottom and work your way back up. I think it is very safe to say, I have added one more hobby to my collection.







I saw this Fowler's Toad on June 3. It was a Lifer



Not to forget, I got to see Cottonmouths on three consecutive days in Florida



No comments:

Post a Comment