Monday, September 21, 2020

On the Wrong Side of the light for a State bird

 


   About 2:45 today, my friend Sue Palmer found a  Lark Sparrow at Snake Den in Johnston. For me, this was very convenient. I was ten minutes from being done with work and fifteen minutes away.  Like a lot of birders, after Sue reported it, I went after work. A bunch of people were in the field looking for it. Within a couple minutes of me getting there, Jan saw it on a bush. We all got on the bird. I got some photos of the bird right out in the open. Unfortunately, it was in the sunlight. I took my photos knowing they wouldn't be good. If I would have been on the other side of the sparrow, where half of the people were, I would have gotten some good shots. Still I got to see a state bird, and it was my 280th RI bird so far this year.

5 comments:

  1. Your passion about birds really makes me happy. I live in Bangladesh. We have so many birds but our people hunt them all. yeah several law was formed. But no luck. I hope there are more people like you in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have visited Bangladesh once. Such a beautiful and quiet country with a lots of green in it. It feels bad that the number of birds are reducing everyday. I recently read an article about some movement about it. I don't recall correctly. But hope the situation gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you guys are talking about Bangladesh, you should know, the country is popular for having a lot of river and fish. I wish you guys good luck saving those birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. What is a state bird? I am not from USA. That is why I asked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are two ways to interpret a "state bird". For me, and the way I meant it, it is seeing a bird for the first time in that state. Birders like lists, and many of us keep a list of what birds we have seen in different states. For example, I have seen a Trumpeter Swan in Massachusetts but not in Rhode Island. So that species is on my Rhode Island list but not Massachusetts list. Some people keep lists of birds they've seen in their county, province, and even backyard.

    The other definition of a "state bird" is each state has an official bird that they thinks represents their state. In Massachusetts the Black Capped Chickadee is our state bird. States take pride in having things being unique to their state. Massachusetts has a state desert (Boston Cream Pie)a state fish (Atlantic Cod)

    But the way I meant "state bird" was the first way. The Lark Sparrow was the first I had seen in Rhode Island. I had seen one in the western United States, but never in Rhode Island. Thank you for asking. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete