Saturday, August 8, 2020

Another week, another week of playing with my camera (and a short fishing report)

Since all I have posted are photos of birds lately, here is a long overdue fishing report. Ninigret Pond is full of stripers. However, they are eating tiny bay anchovies. The bait is only about 1/2 inch. There is nothing in my box that can match it. I tried flies, two inch shad bodies on small jig heads, Zoom flukes, and everything else in my bag. It was frustrating seeing all of those fish break, some of them were behind me in knee deep water.

I had the last couple of days off. I'll be honest, I didn't see nearly as many species as I hoped. I had four target birds and only saw one of them .I went to Napatree yesterday morning. Then I went to the Charlestown Breachway and spent almost the entire day there. I birded a lot but also got some blue crabs. It was a cool summer day so I enjoyed it. This morning I went back to the Breachway, but I was home by 3 pm (this includes two very frustrating hours of fishing).

 Photos below of some of the birds I saw.


This is the continuing  female King Eider. It is rare to have
in Rhode Island, especially during the summer, but she has
been around for a month

Ruddy Turnstone

Ho-hum, just another day with the mega-rare Little Stint

Semi-Palmated Plover

Greater Yellowlegs

Another Semi-Palmated Plover

Black Tern- this was my one successful target bird. I saw it
on a sandbar, but as I was beaching my kayak, so was
a family with a  German Shepard on a boat. As soon as
the dog jumped off the boat, all the terns took off. I was lucky to
get this heavily cropped photo

Despite cutting off the wing, I like the photo. This
Common Tern was fishing for the same bait as the stripers.
Tiny Bay Anchovies
 On  my way home today, I stopped at my friend Jan's house. She has at least five hummingbirds that come to her feeders and garden. I really don't have any good hummingbird photos. I asked if I could stop by today and sit and take photos. I took about 120. As you can imagine, with a bird that fast, many were blurry. Here are my favorites.




No comments:

Post a Comment